

Board of Directors Meeting
Réunion du Conseil d'administration
Friday February 12, 2021 – vendredi 12 février 2021
12:00pm – 2:00pm ET – 12 h à 14 h HE
Zoom Meeting
Minutes

Attending: Lorisia MacLeod, Michael Rogowski, Sharon Rankin, Graeme Tennant, Katya Borrás, Hélène Carrier, Todd Mundle, Ann Smith, Mary Chevreau, Brett Waytuck, Brad Doerken, Jessica Knoch.

Regrets: Andrea Cecchetto

Meeting Began at 1:00 p.m. (EST)

1. Welcome and Election of executive Board

M. Rogowski: I would like to give a special thanks to the past executive board: Todd Kyle, Kirk MacLeod, and Vivian Lewis, for organizing the slate of candidates for our next Executive Board. The positions to be elected, and their corresponding candidates are:

Lorisia MacLeod (second year of term), Chair
Hélène Carrier (second year of term), Vice Chair
Jessica Knoch (first year of term), Secretary
Andrea Cecchetto (first year of term), Treasurer

K. Borrás mover, J. Knoch seconded.

Motion passed unanimously.

M. Rogowski: I will now hand the meeting over to our new chair Lorisia.

2. Approval of the Agenda / Approbation de l'ordre du jour

L. MacLeod: Thank you. Can I get a mover for the approval of the agenda?

T. Mundle, and seconded by A. Smith.

3 Conflict of Interest Check / Vérification du conflit d'intérêts

L. MacLeod: This conflict of interest check gives us a chance now to identify when there is something on the agenda or something we'll be voting on that has a conflict of interest. We can also identify it as the topic comes up. Are there any current conflicts of interest?

None identified.

4. Board policies / Orientation et politiques du CA

L. MacLeod - This is just to confirm that new members have received the related policy and meetings dates. I would also like to note that as board members you are representatives of the board and the organization and this should be kept in mind during your tenure on the board. The board will need to review and perhaps revise these policies this year, so it's best if those policies are looked over.

5. Board Orientation

T. Kyle – As there has not yet been an email decision of the Executive on the 2020-2021 budget, this agenda will only cover 5.1 and 5.2 and members will receive further information on the budget as soon as possible. To clarify, the budget was discussed by the previous Board at its last meeting and it was agreed that with the revisions suggested, the Executive would be empowered to approve the budget as the new Board was taking office.

T. Kyle - any discussion or any other items?

6. Consent Agenda

L. MacLeod: Can I have someone move the consent agenda forward?

Mary Chevreau motioned, G. Tennant seconded.

Approval of the board meeting, no adjustments.

7. Treasurer's Report /Rapport du trésorier

L. MacLeod: As the current treasurer isn't here, do we have any questions or concerns?

H. Carrier: How are we with outstanding member dues?

M. Rogowski: We are still receiving them, but there are still a few outstanding that I've been reaching out to. The biggest challenge is finding the correct contact to send our invoices to with personal change overs.

M. Chevreau: The move to electronic banking has been so much better in getting timely payments.

ACTION: M. Rogowski to add finance issues to the executive agenda, and how to accept cheques.

8. Decision items / Points de decision

8.1: Board-appointed Liaisons with strategic committees

L. MacLeod: Each year we appointed members of the board (usually not executive members) as Committee Liaisons. At this point one of the four committees no longer has an active liaison. This will also give us a chance to review the current liaisons and see if anyone would be interested in taking over.

For Copyright, we have Ann Smith. Are you interested in continuing?

A Smith: Yes, very much so.

L. MacLeod: And would anyone be interested in taking Ann's place?

I'm seeing no one, so Ann will continue to be our Copyright Liaison.

Moving on to Katya Borrás, you are our liaison for Intellectual Freedom. Would you be interested in continuing.

K. Borrás: yes.

L. MacLeod: And is there anyone interested in taking Katya's place?

I'm also seeing no one, so Katya, you will continue to be our Intellectual Freedoms Liaison.

L. MacLeod: Finally, we come to Cataloguing and Metadata. Julie McKenna was our liaison for this committee, and as she is no longer on our board, we will need a replacement. Is there anyone interested in the position?

S. Rankin: I can do it.

L. MacLeod: are there any objections, or anyone else who would like to take on the position of Cataloguing and Metadata liaison? Seeing none, Sharron Rankin is our new Cataloguing and Metadata liaison.

L. MacLeod: In terms of our Indigenous Matters Committee, we are still looking for a new chair. I am still the liaison for that, and will continue to do so. Is there anyone else who would like to take over? Seeing none, we can say all of our committees are properly liaised.

8.2: Signing Authority Update

M. Rogowski: Currently, we have Rebecca, Todd, and Mary as our signatory for Scotia Bank. We'll need to remove those names, and add new names.

M. Chevreau: We need to make sure all our ducks are in a row as Scotiabank can take a bit of time getting their documents back to us.

L. MacLeod: Shall we put this to a vote for the minutes?

S. Rankin: Can we vote via email so we can review the names?

L. MacLeod: If we capture the vote in the minutes, we can take it to the bank to show we've passed it.

M. Rogowski: Here is the motion on the table:

To: take off Rebecca Raven, Todd Kyle, and Mary Chevreau, and to add Lorisia MacLeod, Hélèn Carrier and Andrea Cecchetto to our list of signatories.

T. Mundle to motion, A. Smith to second.

Motion Passed.

9 Discussion items / Points de discussion

9.1 Strategic Plan

L. MacLeod: We'll want to review and have access to the Strategic Plan so we can properly review it at a later date.

J. Knoch: Was there a workplan for the strat plan?

M. Rogowski: Not for the past year.

L. MacLeod: We will include it for this next strategic plan.

9.2 - National Forum

L. MacLeod: We currently don't have a national Forum planned, even though one has been in talks for the past year. As a national forum typically takes a full year to plan and execute, this will be brought up in future agendas.

B. Doerken: Was there something planned from Montrial?

M. Rogowski: That event was unfortunately cancelled due to COVID.

J. Knoch: Does it need to be in-person, or can we do it virtually?

M. Rogowski: We have discussed this, and a few reasons have come up as to why a virtual conference wouldn't be feasible. The first is the scale and size of it. With a virtual conference, there would be too many voices coming in, and it would muddle the conversation. Also, with a virtual conference, there would be a barrier between people from a computer screen. In person it would be much better to convey all the care and subtlety needed for the topics at hand.

M. Chevreau: Virtually wouldn't be viable as we need that connection in person. We have tried to piggyback / link it to another event, but so far, that has been difficult due to COVID.

S. Ranken: I will check with a colleague from ABQLA for hosting the forum.

9.3 - 2022 AGM Review and Next Steps

L. MacLeod: Are there any questions or issues that came out from today's AGM?

S. Rankin: Having the Parliamentarian was extremely handy. We'll want to keep doing that in future years.

L. MacLeod: Let's talk with our treasurer and insure we budget it for next year.

10. Update from Committees

10.1 Cataloguing and Metadata Standards

G. Tennant: We have been working on a cataloguing code of ethics. A draft has been sent out. And we've been working with the Indigenous Matters Committee on the updating of Subject Headings for First Nations.

10.2 Copyright

A Smith: I have an item to be sent out on our social media, and to post it on our website.

10.3 Intellectual Freedom

S. Rankin: We had a meeting with James Turk from the Centre for Free Expression, and the Intellectual Freedom Committee is concerned as to why they weren't approached or consulted at any point during the CFE's creation of their Challenges Survey.

L. MacLeod: We've also been working with the committee to update their terms of reference.

10.4 Indigenous Matters

L. MacLeod: We'll draft something to send to all members to enthusiastically find a new chair for our Indigenous Matters committee.

11. Other Business

Autres affaires

L. MacLeod: Any other business or questions from the board?

None given.

12. Web analytics

12.1: New homepage

M. Rogowski: I've been working on updating the home page of the CFLA website, and I'm hoping to put this into effect. Is there anything that needs to be changed, or anything that has a glaring error to it?

L. MacLeod: Be sure to capitalise Indigenous Matters Committee. Also, fix the Typo on Position Papers and Guidelines.

M. Rogowski: Great, anything else?

None,

A Smith to motion the updated webpage. K. Borrás seconded.

Motion passed. M. Rogowski to update the homepage within the month.

13. Next Meeting/ Prochaine reunion

M. Rogowski: There was talk from the last board to move the day of the week from Friday. As Fridays sometimes come up against long weekends and holidays, hosting our board and executive meetings on a different day might be better for everyone.

ACTION: M. Rogowski to send out a doodle poll to find out what day of the week works best for everyone.

L. MacLeod: We will still tentatively hold the next executive board and board meeting on the Friday.

14. Adjournment / Levée de la séance

V. Lewis moved to Adjourn

Meeting Adjourned at 3:18 p.m. EST