2018 Annual General Meeting
2018 CFLA-FCAB Annual General Meeting
10:30 AM EST Wednesday, January 31
MTCC Room 204
Metro Toronto Convention Centre
255 Front Street West,
Registration to the OLA Super Conference is not required for attendance at the CFLA-FCAB AGM. Members may also attend online at: http://ola.adobeconnect.com/cfla/
CFLA-FCAB governance is subject to the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, S.C. 2009, c.C-32 (the “Act”) and CFLA-FCAB Bylaw Number One. Our Bylaws require a General Meeting (AGM) of Members to be convened on an annual basis.
The purpose of the AGM is to:
- report on the activities of the Federation;
- ask for ratification of resolutions requiring membership support;
- elect directors for open positions on the CFLA-FCAB Board of Directors;
- present to the Members an Audit Review of the Federation for the previous fiscal year;
- allow Members to ratify the selection of a public accountant who will review CFLA-FCAB’s 2018 financial statements; and
- vote acceptance of changes to Bylaw No. 1
The Act requires that the AGM be held within six months of the end of the previous fiscal year. CFLA-FCAB’s last fiscal year ended August 31, 2017.
Attendance at the CFLA-FCAB AGM
Any interested member of the library community is welcome to attend the CFLA-FCAB AGM; however, only official representatives of member associations are eligible to vote. Members of the Federation include:
- Association des bibliothèques publiques du Québec (2 votes)
- Association des bibliothécaires du Québec – Quebec Library Association (1 vote)
- Association of British Columbia Public Library Directors (1 vote)
- Atlantic Provinces Library Association (1 vote)
- British Columbia Library Association (2 votes)
- British Columbia Library Trustees Association (1 vote)
- Canadian Association of Law Librarians (1 vote)
- Canadian Association of Professional Academic Librarians / l’Association canadienne des bibliothécaires académiques professionnels (CAPAL/ACBAP)
- Canadian Association of Research Libraries/ L’Association des bibliothèques de recherche du Canada (3 votes)
- Canadian Council of Archives/Conseil Canadian des archives (1 vote)
- Canadian Health Libraries Association/Association des bibliothèques de la santé du Canada (1 vote)
- Canadian School Libraries (1 vote)
- Canadian Urban Libraries Council (CULC) / Conseil des Bibliothèques Urbaines du Canada (3 votes)
- Ex Libris Association (1 vote)
- Federation of Ontario Public Libraries (2 votes)
- Library Association of Alberta (2 votes)
- Manitoba Library Association (1 vote)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Library Association (1 vote)
- Nova Scotia Library Association (1 vote)
- Ontario Library Association (3 votes)
- Saskatchewan Library Association (1 vote)
- Yukon Library Association, Northwest Territories Library Association, and Nunavut Library Association (1 shared vote)
Associations that join the Federation by January 31 will be eligible to cast one or more votes in accordance with the terms set out in the Bylaws.
CFLA-FCAB members have three options to cast their ballots:
- Vote in person at the Annual General Meeting.
- Vote by poll/chat if joining online.
- Assign a proxy vote to an individual who can attend the meeting.
Please send the name of the person who is authorized to vote on behalf of the association/organization to Katherine McColgan (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than January 26, 2018 using the attached form. For associations eligible to cast more than one vote, additional votes may be cast by the same person or by different people.
A vote by proxy may be assigned to any individual present at the meeting. If necessary, proxy rights may be assigned to Katherine McColgan. If you choose to do so, please provide instructions regarding your desired vote. In the absence of such instructions, the vote will be recorded in favour of all resolutions referred to the membership.
Matters to be Referred to the Membership at the 2018 AGM
The following matters require a membership vote at the Annual General Meeting:
Selection of Public Accountant
Under the Act, CFLA-FCAB must provide its members with an Audit Review for the fiscal year ending August 31, 2017.
For the 2018 Fiscal Year, the Board requests that the Members ratify the selection of Ousley Hanvey Clipsham Deep, as public accountants for CFLA-FCAB.
Approval to Conduct a Review Engagement
Under the Act, CFLA-FCAB must obtain member approval to conduct a Review Engagement rather than a full Audit.
For the 2018 fiscal year, the Board requests that the Members approve a Review Audit to be conducted by the public accountant.
Election of Members of the Board of Directors
As per Bylaw No. 1, Section 32. Board Composition, at each Annual Meeting of Members where the election of Directors is required, the Members shall elect Directors to fill vacancies.
The Board presents the following candidates be elected to the Board during the January 31, 2018 AGM in Toronto:
That CFLA-FCAB members elect Todd Kyle (Ontario – Ontario Library Association) to serve on the Board of Directors for a 2-year term commencing January 31, 2018.
That CFLA-FCAB members elect Julie McKenna (Prairies – Saskatchewan Library Association) to serve on the Board of Directors for a 2-year term commencing January 31, 2018.
That CFLA-FCAB members elect Carole Laguë (Francophone – Association des bibliothèques publiques du Québec) to serve on the Board of Directors for a 2-year term commencing January 31, 2018.
That CFLA-FCAB members elect Norene Erickson (Alberta – Library Association of Alberta) to serve on the Board of Directors for a 2-year term commencing January 31, 2018.
That CFLA-FCAB members Paul Takala (CULC) to serve on the Board of Directors for a 2-year term commencing January 31, 2018.
The Board of Directors received a letter of resignation from Donna Bourne-Tyson (CARL) wishing to vacate her position on the Board. CARL has put forward a nomination to fill the vacancy with a request to extend the election to two-years. The Board is therefore proposing:
That CFLA-FCAB members elect Jonathan Bengtson (CARL) to serve on the Board of Directors for a 2-year term commencing January 31, 2018.
In accordance with Bylaw No. 1 Section 32.1 …”In order to serve as a Director pursuant to article 32.1, and individual must: (c) meet such other criteria as the Board may determine”, the Board of Directors would also like to put forward the following:
That CFLA-FCAB members elect Alix-Rae Stefanko to serve on the Board of Directors for a 2-year term commencing January 31, 2018.
CFLA-FCAB is accepting nominations to fill the vacant position of Northern Library Associations’ representative. If you wish to put forward a nomination, please email email@example.com for more information.
Continuing Board Members
Camille Callison (Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, and Inuit) Representative)
Robin Canuel (Québec – L’Association des bibliothécaires du Québec – Quebec Library Association)
Kathryn Rose (Atlantic Canada – Atlantic Provinces Library Association)
Daphne Wood (British Columbia – British Columbia Library Association)
Members may put forward proposals to be considered at the Annual General Meeting. Any member organization wishing to do so must notify Katherine McColgan (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Sunday January 21, 2018 adhering to the stipulations outlined in Bylaw No. 1:
- “18. Proposals at Annual Members’ Meetings. Subject to the Regulations under the Act, any Proposal may be brought forward, including Proposals for nominations for the election of Directors, if the Proposal is signed by not less than 5% of Members entitled to vote at the meeting at which the Proposal is to be presented.
- Cost of Publishing Proposals for Annual Members’ Meetings. The Member who submitted the Proposal shall pay the cost of including the Proposal and any statement in the notice of meeting at which the Proposal is to be presented unless otherwise provided by Ordinary Resolution of the Members present at the meeting.”
There are no changes being proposed to Bylaw No. 1 to be considered at the 2018 Annual General Meeting.